Joining the STEP member network connects you with over 20,000 practitioners globally. All STEP members belong to a branch or chapter that provides events, professional development and opportunities to network with peers at a local level. We have over 100 branches and chapters across the world. View the full list of STEP branches and chapters here.
Why join STEP? Benefits to members include:
- Benefits to Members of STEP NY include:
- Attend our outstanding programs and events at member rates. Receive regular e-newsletters. STEP keeps you up-to-date on worldwide developments in the rapidly evolving area of trusts and estate planning.
- Attend the annual International Estate Planning Conference at a discounted rate.
- Networking with other members of the international trusts and estates community in New York City and worldwide.
- Access to STEP members worldwide, which is extremely helpful for cross-border matters.
- Additional, relevant training available.
- Listing in the STEP Directory.
- Receive the STEP Journal (10 issues/year) and the Trust Quarterly Review.
- STEP Special Interest Groups focus on specific areas of practice, such as Business Families, Contentious Trusts and Estates, Cross-Border Estates and Philanthropy.
How to join?
US recognition for education and credentials
STEP Worldwide recognizes certain US diplomas and credentials that allows for Full membership of STEP. Applicants may use previously completed relevant exams, certifications or qualifications gained from universities or other professional associations as recognized prior learning.
STEP Worldwide currently recognizes the following education/credentials as a route to gaining Full membership:
- Masters of Law ( LL.M) – Tax
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP®)
- Accredited Estate Planner (AEP®)
- Estate Planning Law Specialist (EPLS)
- In addition to holding one of the above qualifications, you must be able to demonstrate QMF Practice Level requirements (2 years mid to senior level experience).
- There is a fee to recognize your prior learning, payable as part of your membership application.
- If you have been awarded an LL.M in Tax, you will need to provide evidence that you have completed course content related to estate planning. If you cannot demonstrate this, a statement of experience should be provided as part of your application.
Apply using application form below:
Apply to become a Full STEP Member using the USA Recognized Courses application form below:
Qualified practitioners are invited to apply using the new membership application (updated February 1, 2018).